Thursday, April 7, 2011

April 7th, 2011 - "76 Calkins Trailer Sanding, Priming and Hubs

Time to paint the trailer. I sanded all of the pieces that I removed from the trailer yeaserday. Then I used a black primer since we decided to go with a black trailer. I removed the pins that hold in most of the rollers and removed them from their brackets. I will clean them later and decide if I want to replace them or not. After that, the hubs came in from UPS. I put one together to test the fit, and it didn't. The bearing sixe is right, but the hub is too long for the axle shaft. I called Champion Trailers and asked them about it. They said that I have a hub that is no longer available and I will either have to replace the axle, use my old hubs or find some donor hubs. I elected to try toi salvage my old hubs. I used their bearing pack and my hubs. I am not to confident in this setup so I will keep a close eye on them. In the meantime, I will be looking for some donor hubs. Finally, I mounted the new tires on the trailer.

 Various brackets primed

 The primed pieces from today

 The rollers

 Another view of the primed parts

 The NEW hubs (unused)

 Trailer with wheels on it

Trailer with wheels on it again

No comments:

Post a Comment